Research Personnel are hired in the exact same way as all non-faculty positions except that the VPR must approve positions after the hire by processing an RPA form. All Research positions (except for Post-Doc’s) are posted through PATH. VPR guidelines for hiring research personnel are listed in the link below. An email from the HR staff is sent to the faculty who are requesting to hire personnel. The email when completed is sent back to the department HR staff so that they may now begin the posting in PATH. The HR staff assigns training to the supervisor and they must complete it in order for the position to go live. Once posted for five full days the faculty member can then determine when to put the position on hold. Once the posting is placed on hold the HR staff works with the faculty member to complete the hire following the hiring process & guidelines listed below. This process includes:
- Supervisor completes matrix.
- Supervisor double checks for Veteran’s/Former Foster Child Preference.
- Supervisor completes interviews with interview guides.
- Supervisor completes telephone references with provided A&M form. (Review Title VII List before developing questions.)
- Supervisor will status candidate pool for HR staff to enter.
- HR staff statuses all of candidate pool.
- Supervisor collects and turns in all notes/emails/narratives/documents to HR staff.
- HR staff uploads all forms and documents to posting in PATH.
- Supervisor completes offer letter including signature of candidate using offer letter template.
- Candidate completes criminal background check.
- Candidate completes degree verification form.
- Candidate (if male) submits selective service form to HR staff.
- HR staff uploads all hiring documents in PATH collected from supervisor, HR, and self. HR staff then moves posting to documentation complete to receive Hiring Certificate.
- Supervisor and HR staff complete RPA form. HR staff then turns the RPA form in to VPR.
- Candidate comes in to complete all new hire paperwork with all necessary documents.
- EPA is created along with benefits document by HR staff member to finalize new hire in department.
This process is the same for all who hire research personnel regardless of the source of funds unless international.Hiring Supervisors Workbook: http://employees.tamu.edu/managers/
VPR guidelines for Hiring Research Personnel & Post-Docs: http://vpr.tamu.edu/business-services/staffing
Manager Resources: http://employees.tamu.edu/media/126464/409hiringworkbook.pdf
How to access candidate’s applications in PATH (For Hiring Supervisor):
Start by logging into SSO. You should have PATH as a link you can click on on your home page. On the home page in PATH, look at the top right hand corner. There is a drop down labeled Current Group. Select Hiring Supervisor in the drop down. Once you’ve done this, the top middle in blue you should find a tab called Postings. If you hover over this a drop down will appear. Click on Other. Then your application should appear. If you click the position you will find in the white space a little above the middle on the left side there are more tabs. You will currently be on summary and you will need to click on applicants. This will take you to everyone that has applied for the position so far. You can click into each one and then view their applications.
Matrix & Tutorial: http://employees.tamu.edu/managers/hiring-matrix
Interview Questions Guide and Sample Questions: http://employees.tamu.edu/managers/interview/
Phone Reference Contact Form: http://employees.tamu.edu/media/268131/401referencecheck.pdf
Offer Letter Template Please submit to Brooklynn BEFORE giving to candidate. Must be approved first!