|Ph.D., George Mason University (2000)
Affiliate: Diversity Science
277 Psychology Building
CV | Google Scholar | Research Gate
PSYC 302: Research Methods
I examine how individual differences facilitate (or inhibit) the effectiveness of human resource practices and how organizational initiatives can be implemented to be mutually beneficial for both the employee and the organization. Some specific topics of interest include: individual differences, performance appraisal and management, safety climate, family-friendly initiatives, predictors of turnover (commitment, mentoring, and work-family conflict).
- 2016: Communicating hazards and risks to a multinational workforce: Testing the efficacy of a cross-cultural workplace safety communication workshop; Texas A&M University and Texas A&M University Qatar
- 2013: Validating a Generalized Measure of Workgroup Safety Climate; Abnormal Situation Management Consortium
- 2010-2015: ADVANCE-IT Promoting success of women faculty through a Psychologically Healthy Workplace; National Science Foundation
- 2010-2011: The development and validation of a universal measure of safety climate; National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health
- 2010: Improving Safety Climate; Abnormal Situation Management Consortium
- 2005-2017. Safety climate in oil and gas industries. Mary Kay O’Connor Process Safety Center, Texas A&M University.
graduate students underlined
Gibson, J. L., Payne, S. C., Botsford Morgan, W., & Allen, J. A. (in press). The Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology’s Guidelines for Education and Training: An executive summary of the 2016/2017 revision. American Psychologist.
Beus, J. M., Payne, S. C., Arthur, W., Jr., & Muñoz, G. J. (in press). The development and validation of a cross-industry safety climate measure: Resolving conceptual and operational issues. Journal of Management.
Payne, S. C., Mendoza, A. M., & Horner, M. T. (forthcoming). Electronic performance management: Does altering the process improve the outcome? In D. L. Stone & J. H. Dulebohn (Eds.), Human Resource Management Theory and Research on eHRM (pp. XX –XX). Charlotte, NC: Information Age.
Keiser, N. L., & Payne, S. C. (in press). Safety climate measurement: An empirical test of context-specific vs. general assessments. Journal of Business and Psychology. doi 10.1007/s10869-017-9504-y
Xu, X., & Payne, S. C. (in press). Predicting retention duration from organizational commitment profile transitions. Journal of Management. doi: 10.1177/0149206316643166
Cho, I., & Payne, S. C. (2016). Other important questions: When, how, and why do cultural values influence performance management? Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives of Science and Practice, 9, 343-350. doi: 10.1017/iop.2016.23
Xu, X., Payne, S. C., Horner, M. T., & Alexander, A. L. (2016). Individual difference predictors of perceived change fairness. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 31, 420-433. doi: 10.1108/JMP-02-2014-0061
CURRENT GRADUATE STUDENTS
The I/O Program will be admitting graduate students for the 2018-2019 year.