Accepting Students 2017-2018
- Emotion and cognition / Computational Psychiatry & Cognitive Modeling / Unconscious semantic processing / Cognitive Science of Decision Making
- Brain-computer interface / Affective computing / Human Computer Interaction
- For details, visit my laboratory web page (http://people.tamu.edu/~takashi-yamauchi/)
How are our emotions, moods, and other tacit knowledge (including propensity, inclination, personality and beliefs) that meshed into our brains influence our behavior consciously and unconsciously? For sure, newly acquired knowledge influences our behavior. But how? Does it affect the way we move or hit a keyboard? Does it manifest not only inside the brain but also in our overt behavior, such as the way we talk, move, sit and speak? If so, can we develop a computer program that can detect people’s feelings, moods, and propensities? My research has addressed these fundamental questions of knowledge formation / representation by focusing on the issues relevant to emotion and cognition, brain-computer interface, affective computing, and unconscious semantic processing.
- NTT-Cybersolutions R&D (PI) / NSF: Foreign Accent Conversation (Senior Personnel) / Race and Ethnic Studies Institute (TAMU Faculty Fellow)
- NSF: CHS: Small: Connecting Across Distances: Emotional Support for At-Risk Individuals through Remote Touch (co-PI)
- Yamauchi, T. & *Xiao, K. (in press). Reading emotion from mouse cursor motions: Affective computing approach. Cognitive Science.
- Yamauchi, T., *Leontyev, T., & #Wolfe, W. (2017). Choice Reaching Trajectory Analysis as Essential Behavioral Measures for Psy¬chological Science. Insights in Psychology 1:4.1-4. http://oprscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/IIP-17-03-V1.pdf
- *Xiao, K, & Yamauchi, T (2017) The role of attention in subliminal semantic processing: A mouse tracking study. PLoS ONE 12(6): e0178740. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0178740
- *Bowman, C. & Yamauchi, T. (2016). Processing emotions in sounds: Cross-domain aftereffects of speech utterances and musical sounds. Cognition and Emotion, 1-17. DOI:10.1080/02699931.2016.1255588
- *Bowman, C. & Yamauchi, T. (2016). Perceiving categories of emotion in sound: The role of timbre. Psychomusicology: Music, Mind, and Brain. 26 (1), 15-25.
Yamauchi, T., *Bowman, C., *Xiao, K. Mueen, A. (2015). Dynamic time warping: A single dry electrode EEG study in a self-paced learning task. 2015 International Conference on Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction (ACII). pp. 56-62. IEEE Computer Society.
- Yamauchi, T. (2013). Mouse Trajectories and State Anxiety: Feature Selection with Random Forest. Proceedings of the 2013 Humaine Association Conference on the Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction (ACII 2013).pp. 389-404. IEEExplore, doi: 10.1109/ACII.2013.72
- Yamauchi, T., Seo, J. H., #Jett, N., #Parks, G. & *Bowman, C. (2015). Gender differences in mouse and cursor movements. International Journal of Human Computer Interaction, 31, 911-921.
- *Xiao, K. & Yamauchi, T. (2015) Subliminal semantic priming in near absence of attention: a Cursor motion study. Consciousness and Cognition, 38, 88-98.
*Xiao, K., & Yamauchi, T. (2014). Semantic Priming Revealed by Mouse Movement Trajectories. Consciousness and Cognition, 27, 42-52. DOI: 10.1016/j.concog.2014.04.004
- *graduate student
- Journal of Brain and Neuroscience Research
- Journal of Psychiatry and Cognitive Behavior
- Insights in Psychology
- Madridge Journal of Behavioral and Social Sciences
CURRENT & PAST GRADUATE STUDENTS
- Anton Leontyev / Casady Bowman / Kunchen Xiao / Na Yung Yu