- neural circuits for fear, stress, & anxiety
- learning theory; contexts and their role in associative learning
Anxiety in our society is prevalent and pervasive. Concurrently, treatment is marred with relapse. Through greater insight on how the brain encodes fearful and aversive memories, our research in the emotion and memory systems laboratory of Dr. Stephen Maren hopes to improve upon the science and application of therapeutic intervention. To identify the neurobiological basis of emotion and memory, our lab employs a variety of behavioral, pharmacological, electrophysiological, and chemogenetic technologies. Presently, my research in the lab is focused on the contribution of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis (BNST) to various fear phenomena.
- Neural Circuits for Reinstatement of Fear (2016-2018)
National Institute of Mental Health
Role: PI; Sponsor: Dr. Stephen Maren; Co-Sponsor: Dr. Jun Wang
- Goode TD, Maren S (2014) Animal models of fear relapse. ILAR J 55, 246–258.
- Goode TD, Kim JJ, Maren S (2015) Relapse of extinguished fear after exposure to a dangerous context is mitigated by testing in a safe context. Learn Mem 22, 170–178.
- Goode TD, Kim JJ, Maren S (2015) Reversible inactivation of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis prevents reinstatement but not renewal of extinguished fear. eNeuro 2, ENEURO.0037-15.2015.
- Goode TD*, Leong KC*, Goodman J, Maren S, Packard MG (2016) Enhancement of striatum-dependent memory by conditioned fear is mediated by beta-adrenergic receptors in the basolateral amygdala. Neurobiol Stress 3, 74–82. *=equal contribution
- Dulka BN, Ford EC, Lee MA, Donnell NK, Goode TD, Prosser R, Cooper MA (2016) Proteolytic cleavage of proBDNF into mature BDNF in the basolateral amygdala is necessary for defeat-induced social avoidance. Learn Mem 23, 156–160.
- Goode TD, Holloway-Erickson CM, Maren S (2017) Extinction after fear memory reactivation fails to eliminate renewal in rats. Neurobiol Learn Mem (in press).
- Goode TD, Jin J, Maren S (2017) Neural circuits for fear relapse. Neurobiology of Abnormal Emotion & Motivated Behaviors (S. Sangha, D. Foti, Eds.) San Diego: Elsevier (in press).
- Giustino TF, Seemann JR, Acca GM, Goode TD, Fitzgerald PJ, Maren S (2017) β-adrenoceptor blockade in the basolateral amygdala, but not the medial prefrontal cortex, rescues the immediate extinction deficit. Neuropsychopharmacology (in press).
- Goode TD, Maren S (2017) Role of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis in aversive learning and memory. Learn Mem 24, 480–491.